Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Ric Elias: The Moments that Shape You

If you knew your plane was going down and you thought you minutes on Earth were numbered what would you regret? What would you wish you would have done? Not many people experience something that will alter their life forever. This TED talk was given by Ric Elias, the man who was sitting in seat D1, the seat right next to the flight attendants, on the day the plane landed in the Hudson. He talks about 3 things he learned that day. He realized what is truly important to him in life. This video has made me think what matters to me? This really relates to our TED talk because it is about what matters to us. This video really touched me, my mind is going in so many different directions because it made me think of so many experiences in my life, and I realize that I want to live my life as the nicest person I can be. I want to help others and make a difference in others lives. I do not want to go through life, living just for me. I can really connect to this video because it brings back all the events that have shaped who I am today. It makes me think back to 6th grade when my mom and I were in an ATV accident. All I can remember about the actual accident was darkness and my mom asking if I was okay. I remember ripping off my helmet and seeing my mom with a huge black bump immediately on her head. Like Ric said he remembers the words “brace for impact”, I remember my mom telling me “I’m hurt go get daddy.” Today those words still bring memories flashing to my mind. Sitting on the mountain waiting for the rescue crew changed my life. I thought I was going to lose my mom, and I told her she could not die. I could not lose her, and I could not live without her. It made such a difference to me because I respected my mom and brother so much more after that day. I did not want to fight with my mom, like Ric said he would not fight with his wife. If I said something mean to my family, I could not live with myself until everything was okay, because I learned the same thing Ric did, life can change in a second, and do everything while you can. His style of presenting was very different. He used some humor, but not much. He hardly moved around the stage, and his voice was not as excited as all the others I have watched. After all those things it may make it seem like it would have made it boring, but it made it more powerful and helped me to connect on an emotional level. This talk really made me think of  a quote by Barbra Bush, “At the end of your life, you will never regret no having 0passes one more test, not winning one more verdict, or closing one more deal. You will regret not spending time with a husband, friend, child, or parent.” Ric and Barbra have both helped me to change my perspective. I will not always constantly worry about school, I need to worry about getting done what I want to, and living every day like it is my last.

No comments:

Post a Comment