Monday, May 2, 2011

Dave Eggers: Once Upon a School

After watching Dave Eggers’ video, I have begun to think of so many ideas. The first thing that really amazed me was how much better children can do in school if they have to one on one time. I am very lucky because I can get that time whenever I need. I can go see a teacher on an off hour, or before or after school to get help and have that one on one time. I know that not all students have these privileges and I think his project is amazing. This shop that he created is amazing in so many different ways. The first being how much fun it is for the children that go there. One of the coolest parts is that it is not decorated like a school. They are very fun and help to make learning fun.  The pirate shop or the superman store is a great idea and it will make children want to come each day.  I also really liked how they did not give it some name that implied that children were getting school help. It was simply an address and applied no titles to the child. This has really made me want to get involved and help kids younger than me. My sister volunteered at the elementary school, and that got me thinking how much fun I could have doing something like that. I thought it was amazing that they had so many volunteers that wanted to donate their time to help their community. Like we talked about in class, donating time is so much more important than any check. It just shows that you don’t need to be rich to help others. Dave’s style was very different. He talked very fast and rarely ever paused. He seemed very fidgety and not very confident. It was not in a bad way he just seemed more like a writer and not a public speaker, which is true. At times it got a little hard to follow and watch because he was all over the place. He also added a lot of humor, which made the video easier to watch and enjoy. This really relates to school, because it just shows how well children can do when they are given the time and encouragement they need. It makes me wonder what our world could be, if every child was living to their full potential.  If every child got their special attention, how could we change the world? It really has made me want to help children in schools because I think it really could change the world and make it a better place. I hope one day, every child gets the attention they need, and their ideas can help change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment